Pork & Fennel Sausage Pasta
- 1 x celery stick (string removed) finely chopped
- 1 x carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 x garlic clove finely chopped
- 5 x pork & fennel sausages (or italian pork sausages), skin removed
- 1/2 cup of dry white wine
- 1 x sprig of rosemary leaves, finely chopped
- 2 x tbls tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 1 x cup roughly chopped Cavolo nero
- 5 x basil leaves torn
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tspn sugar
- 500g dried penne pasta
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano to serve
In a heavy based frying pan, fry on medium-high heat onion, celery, carrot, garlic and rosemary in the olive oil for 5-7 minutes or until soft.
Add sausage to the pan and break up with back of a wooden spoon. Fry for 5 minutes until slightly brown. Add tomato paste and fry further 2 minutes constantly stirring. Add white wine and reduce liquid for 2-3 minutes.
Add tinned tomatoes, cavolo nero, sugar and extra virgin olive oil and simmer, stirring frequently, for another 25-30 minutes.
Add basil. Serve stirred through freshly cooked pasta and topped with grated Parmigiano Reggiano.