Balinese Tamarind Chicken "Ayam Panggang Bumbu Terik"
- 1 large free range chicken, segmented into 6-8 pieces
- 1 400ml tin coconut cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 long red chillies, seeds and inner pith removed
- 2 Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2cm peeled piece of ginger, chopped
- 1cm peeled piece of turmeric, chopped
- 4 eschallots roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 2 fresh Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stick lemongrass (bruised)
- 1 tbls Gula Melaka (or palm sugar)
- 3 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1tbls tamarind puree
Place eschallots, chillies, garlic, ginger, salt and turmeric in a processor and grind to paste. Heat the sesame oil and 1 tbls of the peanut oil in a hot wok and add the paste. Fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes continuously mixing.
Remove paste and set aside in a bowl. Add remaining oil and brown the chicken pieces in batches. Once browned, set chicken aside and empty any remaining oil from wok and wipe clean. Add paste, coconut milk, stock, lime leaves and lemongrass to the wok and bring to the boil. Add chicken, potato and Gula Melaka. Bring to the boil then reduce to very low heat. Simmer uncovered on low for 1.5 to 2 hours till liquid is very thick. Stir in tamarind puree and season to taste.
Transfer to a serving dish and serve with steamed jasmine or basmati rice.